Thursday, August 4, 2011

"That Mom"

I'm sure you've all seen her.... "that mom." The one who has her hair just right, her clothes neat and CLEAN, her children all in a row- also clean and smiling... without a care in the world... doing all the right "mommy" things. You see her when you are running to Walmart.... especially when you haven't had a shower in a day or two.... and ESPECIALLY when you realize your shirt that you thought was clean has baby pureed carrots down the front.

I know that I NEVER feel like I have it together.... and I'm not sure that I ever will. The house will never be clean enough, there will always be laundry to do, we will always be out of the one ingredient I need to make the awesome dinner that my children will refuse to eat.... we all feel it. But today, I decided to chuck all the things I "had to do" and decided to finally do what I wanted to do.

Today, I got to spend the whole morning and a little bit of the afternoon with my oldest daughter, Alli. I can't tell you the last time I've spent time with just her. It was the best day I've had in a long time. We had planned it. We knew we were going to do some fun stuff! We went to Dunkin Donuts and got breakfast. Then, we went to see Amber McKinley to get a hair trim--- not a cut! Alli was so pampered. Then, we headed to Target to buy her school supplies. Puppy notebooks and folders and everything else in the perfect shade of greenish-bluish, as well as scissors decorated with cupcakes. She also bought a new Barbie, and a treat for her sister, and her brother. Then, we headed to Applebee's for a late lunch. It was just the two of us. It was wonderful.... but it was also bittersweet. I realize how much older she is this year. Talking to her... really talking... making jokes... remembering that in all of the hulabaloo of the day, I am SO lucky to be her mom.

School is starting soon... I have taken on another part-time gig (if you don't know, I'm the queen of part-time)... time is going to fly by. I am so lucky that I was able to take some time to spend with Alli... without any siblings, phone calls, or emails to worry about.

Alli has grown a lot this summer. She is so excited about school this year! She is also excited about piano, and her friends, and we are REALLY hoping that she becomes excited about swimming!

Today, I was "that mom." The one who had it all together.... so I thought. When I got home, I realized I had missed an important meeting. Ugh! Well, at least for a little while, things went smoothly and I felt like "that mom!" Now, back to reality.
Thanks for a great day, Alli! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment