Thursday, June 23, 2011

Whine=Wine

Today has been a "whiny" day.... which has led to a nice glass of wine at night. It seems that often times when I plan out "great days," there are often small issues that tend to take the "greatness" out of the plan. For example, today, we met some friends at Washington Township Park in Avon. This is the BEST park... Brownsburg, come on, get on board! There is shade, there is rubber mulch, the bathrooms are clean, and there are amazing trails... and now there is a splash pad. What more could you want? We had a great time with great friends... and after 3 hours at the park, with playing, hiking, and lunch- with twizzlers as dessert (yes, it was for a fun day!) ...it began. The WHINING! So whining=naptime for the kiddos.

I got some downtime with my main man, Gavin, which is so fun now. He's into cooing, blowing bubbles, and rolling over if you are lucky! Then, the girls got up and it began, AGAIN! (This is where Jarrod would ask me, did you give them a time out? So for those of you who were wondering the same thing, yes, we did a break and a time out.) But it still didn't change things.

This is when I start to wonder, surely, I didn't do this to my parents. When they broke their backs trying to make a "great day," I'm sure I was very appreciative... and even gave them downtime when we got home because I recognized how tiring such an activity could be for an adult. Insert sarcasm...

These are days when I truly appreciate my parents. I can honestly say that I cannot remember seeing my mom ever roll her eyes at me for ridiculous whining.... she probably got really good at doing it as she turned away from me. I can honestly say that I don't remember my mom losing it on the Wendy's drive-thru guy... who for the 10th time gave me sweetened tea when I clearly ordered unsweetened tea. (Hello? Have they not heard about this food revolution?)I know that my dad always got me a band-aid, even when the scratch that I was screaming about was not band-aid worthy. And because I know my parents did this for me, I know that I can do this for my kids.
I also know that at the end of a whiny day, a nice glass of wine is the perfect reward for me not rolling my eyes, losing in on the Wendy's drive thru guy, and getting the unnecessary bandaid.
Cheers!
(Sidenote: My husband wins the awesomeness award tonight for picking up an unsweetened iced tea at Wendy's tonight on his way home from work after receiving my rant of a text about the fiasco! ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment